Thursday, July 22, 2010

Back from Michigan

Chris and I have just returned from a week (sans Frog) in Michigan.  Chris' family has a beautiful house that they call Cranberry Cottage on Torch Lake.  We were in full on relaxation mode.  I never really knew what relaxation meant until I had a child and then vacationed without her.  The first 24 hours I had intense Frog withdrawl.  But by the second day I realized it was going to be okay and I got my relax on, big time.  We lounged, read, watched t.v., went on walks (without having to pack a diaper bag and make a bottle), napped and did all kinds of things you don't do once you have a baby.  Michigan is picturesque and beautiful, a cherry orchard or crystal blue lake at almost every turn.  Michigan is also home to the nation's worst drivers.  Unlike the drivers of Dallas that are intentionally cutting you off in traffic the retired, often elderly drivers of Michigan have no idea anyone else is on the road or in the parking lot with them so they just throw their car in reverse and go.  If they need to change lanes or make a turn not a single mirror is consulted first; they just do it.  We were almost the victims in at least 10 accidents and we witnessed two old men back, simultaneously into each other in a parking lot.  It was awesome.

Chris and I share a love of boats.  We have attended several boat shows here in Dallas.  We know we will probably never own a boat like this


but it's still fun to look and dream.  Nor will be able to retire at an age that would allow us large enough blocks of time to use a boat of this magnitude.  We spent a while amongst the boats and yachts of Charlevoix and Traverse City.  Chris' dad does a have a Four Winds at the cottage so we were able to go onto Torch Lake at least once a day.  We talked the entire time about how much Frog and Peanut will love spending time on Torch Lake.  We can't wait to return as a family!

My legs and our wake.

The crystal clear water of Torch Lake.   Having grown up swimming in a southern lake the color of Torch is quite shocking.

The view from Cranberry Cottage.

Torch Lake water was about 76 degrees while we were there.

Chris got some much needed time with his beloved video games.

Chris chilling near the sandbar on Torch.  We can't wait to bring Frog to the sandbar.


Peach orchard.

Me in the boat on the first day.  It took me several days to work up the courage to get into the frigid water of 76 degrees.  Lake Bruin was never that cold.

Chris getting his boat on.


The view of the Harwood dock from the lake.





Cherry orchards as far as the eye can see.  I ate three times my weight in fresh cherries.


Meanwhile back at the ranch, in care of her grandmother and her Pastora...


 

 

 

And last but not least (no pun intended) from America's heartland:

No vacation is complete without one of these.




5 comments:

  1. That sounds really lovely and relaxing...The water looks so refreshing:)
    Kisses and have a lovely day:)

    ps: I am hosting a great GIVEAWAY, so please join in:) ...I bet you will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are back! I was having serious EdieMyLove withdrawals. Michigan looks gorgeous and I guess you didn't have to worry about any alligators in that lake either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant decide if i like the photo of edie's behind with the baby doll face down or america's cottage cheeseland. i think its a toss up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys had a nice time! I can't wait to take the kids there too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I like that Chris has to play video games on vacation.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.