Thursday, July 22, 2010

Customer Service Nightmares, Vol. 1

Hello, it's guest post-er Jeremiah here with the first volume of my Customer Service Nightmares.

This is the first in a series of beautiful moments in my life where employees from different businesses have conspired to make my life as difficult as possible.

This one just happened yesterday. My law practice involves me having to call constables regularly to check on service of legal papers. Usually, they are out in the field, but their offices will always offer to transfer me to their cell phones or to their voicemail (or take an old-fashioned written message). Today, I was not so lucky.

Me: Is Officer "Smith" available?

AH: He's not in right now.

Me: OK, can I be transferred to his cell or his voicemail?

AH: We can't give out cell numbers, but he will be in after 4:00.

Me: OK, but can I be TRANSFERRED to his cell?

AH: We CANNOT give out cell numbers.

Me: OK, well I'm not asking for his cell number. I'm asking if I can be transferrrrrrred to his cell phone.

AH: No! I can't do that.

Me: Does he have voicemail?

AH: No!

Me: OK, so then I guess I'll just have to call back after 4:00?*

AH: Yes.

Me: Thank you so much for your help.*

Now, different interactions rile me up for different reasons. Here, we have a robot who doesn't want to think or listen to my questions. Notice how many times I ask to be transferred (3) versus how many times I ask for his number (0). And yet, I'm the jerk for having to ask the same question 3 times in a row. AH** answers the phones for a living - it's nice to enjoy the extra effort he puts into his work.

* Both of these comments were made with the utmost in sarcasm and insincerity in my voice
**AH stands for @$$ Hole.

1 comment:

  1. I can hear that conversation in my head perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.