Monday, February 1, 2010

It's time to cut back your ornamental grasses.


Ek and Joel trimming.

You don't have to but to have a less thatchy and cleaner looking ornamental grass you may want to shear off about the top 1'-2' of the plant.  We do this every year at end of January or beginning of February.  The key is to do it before the plant starts putting out its new growth.  If you cut the new growth you will have a ragged and damaged leaf blade all year.

Joel trimming the grasses.

This year we will leave the trimmings on the ground as a mulch.

Newly trimmed Miscanthus and Muhlenbergia on Airline.

Deciduous holly at Dedman Sports.  I think this is one of my favorite trees.

Daffodils (3 years old) coming up in the pots at Embrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.