Thursday, February 25, 2010

Quality Time

I get home from work everyday around 4:30.  I have been starving for several hours by then so I walk in the door, yell at the paps to leave me alone, put down my stuff, go to the fridge, and eat, eat, eat.  Chris then says (daily), "I guess we aren't eating together."  Or, since we talk to each other through our pets or Edie, he would say to Edie, "I guess I won't be eating with Mommy tonight."  I feel guilty but I'm so damn hungry all I can do is shovel food into my mouth.  So yesterday I came up with an idea to give Chris a nice meal together one night a week.  We will cook a meal together one week night each week.  We will take turns choosing the meal.  Last night I chose this recipe from Smitten Kitchen.  We went to Central Market when I got home (while I ignored my hunger) and bought the ingredients.  Now let me tell you Chris and I have been together in this relationship of pure bliss for seven years and in that time we have NEVER been able to cook together because I am a control freak and he does everything wrong.  I thought since we are going to make the cooking nights our special night of togetherness that we would magically not hate each other whilst cooking.  Not so.  Things Chris did wrong that required pointing out:  sauteed onions in a too small pan, didn't boil enough water for the pasta, kept trying to change amounts of things to suit his energy level, telling me I was being a bitch, and generally getting in the way.  By the time the meal was cooked I hated him and I'm pretty sure he hated me.  So to smooth things out I started asking him questions about ABE with seemingly genuine interest which turned his mood around.  We ate.  I went to sleep and Chris played video games for about an hour at which time I was awoken by the sound of Chris cooking himself something he actually wanted to eat for dinner.  I yelled from the bedroom for him to shutup and went back to sleep.  Ahhhhh, what a wonderful evening of cooking and loving. 

I thought it was good even if he didn't.

FYI:  I used arugula instead of parsley.  Next time I will sub sausage for the artichokes.

10 comments:

  1. At least you didn't throw an open carton of milk at Chris like I did when Dad and I had been married about 3 months and were living in a little apt. in BR. The minuscule kitchen was covered in milk which I got to clean up, but it was WORTH IT.
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. ann. you should start eating snacks. i have one at exactly 3pm and then 5pm (since you go to bed at about 5:01, you could alter said times). I count down the minutes. If its 2:59-- thats 1 minute early and I have to wait. If I know I'll be somewhere sans kitchen/ snack.... well duh, my purse is prepared. I would say that most definitely the highlight of my day is snack time. For sure 100%

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest fruit and/or nuts. Nuts are great because they are healthy and they make you really full off of just a small amount. Seriously, sometimes I shovel them in, and then 5 minutes later, the hunger switch is turned off.
    I have to side with Chris on this meal - it looks good if you like snail shells for dinner. And for the love of Baby Jesus let the man have some meat.
    By the way, I would love to see you two on a cooking show. I'm sure it would be way different than the Down Home with the Neelys show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chalk up not being able to cook alongside one another as one of the (many) reasons david and i are no longer together. it was misery. tears over vegetables with brown spots, yelling over deveining shrimp. it was ugly.
    amy, how do you carry cottage cheese and peas in your purse?
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. and i'm sure that pasta dish tasted really good but it looks like a dish that would be in one of my library books about eating insects.
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. ann, I think the question is what don't i snack on: hummus y carrots, y cucumbers, or some sort of loverly granola bar, or turkey and cheese and mustard roll ups, or cottage cheese (and i've recently started putting salsa on top= way awesome. my theory is the more sauces you can put on an item of food, the way more spectacular it becomes), string cheese, cheese in general, wine, margaritas, vodka rocks, shaw jewelry.

    here is what i wish i snacked on: mac and cheese, ranch dressing served in a soup bowl, queso that i would eat with a spoon, tons of meatballs, campizi's pizza, chips and butter, snuffers hamburgers, wheels and wheels of brie.

    ann i think yall need to get married asap bc 1. i could get ordained and marry yall 2. i could also give a toast at your wedding 3. the paps could be and ring bearers,

    ReplyDelete
  7. when we were talking wedding years ago we had decided you or jeremiah would marry us

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.