Monday, October 25, 2010

NEH in the fall.....

...is now going to happen on a regular basis.  For those of you that don't know (poor souls) NEH is Northeast Harbor, Maine.  NEH is a small town on Mount Desert Island which is also home to Acadia National Park.  O'Connor/Rushes, I hope you don't mind me documenting your recent visit to Sweetbriar.  It has taken me a week to publish this post because I've spent the past week in a deep depression because I wasn't there to share it with yall.  I'm better now and ready to write about it, or at least post other people's pictures.  The trip began Thursday, October 14 in the evening.  Everyone, expect Taylor who would drive up from Boston, left Dallas for Bangor, Maine via Laguardia.  Long story short, they ended up driving from NYC all night in a rain storm to Bangor, Maine, arriving there at 7:00 a.m. without their luggage.  All I'll say is American Airlines, that should be enough to explain the drive.  They arrived at Sweetbriar Bungalow on Friday morning as planned, a little tired and dirty.  I assume from the pictures that they quickly made a fire and mimosas, although probably not in that order.  After years of renting the O'Connor/Rushes now own the cutest house in NEH.  It overlooks the harbor itself and is a 5 minute walk to downtown NEH.  The walk takes you past an apple tree that had fruit on it this past summer.  Every time we walked past it I would pick one for Edie to gnaw on which ended in several choking sessions.  Anyway the house is perfect in every way.  Congrats N,S,A, and S.  Am I crazy, or could we run the half marathon next fall?!!!  Mom said the half would end pretty much at Sweetbriar.  Think about it. 

To hear it from someone that was actually there check out Taylor's account

Amy on her iphone.

Steve's breakfast extravaganza.



A fall view from the Boathouse.

Cheering the marathon runners on on Sunday morning.  We could be those runners!!

Amy and Steve preparing breakfast.


The proud O'Connor/Rush family (and the Blacks) with the proof that you're someone in NEH.  Now the sign won't have to kept by a pool in Dallas, Texas.

Steve and Taylor preparing breakfast.

Taylor, Amy, and Liz on the deck that overlooks the harbor.

Booze, Maine, a roaring fire, and celeb mags, the way life should be.  Which reminds me, Nancy, have you thought about magazine subscriptions to keep this table stocked?  You can probably switch the Coastal Living for US Weekly.

Liz and Amy came to Maine to fiddle with their iphones.

Really they bought the house just to get their hands on this sweet sweatshirt.

Nancy on her new couch.  Note to self: when you buy a vacation home buy one that's already furnished, it makes arriving to it after an all night drive a little more pleasant.  Imagine walking in the front door to an empty house!

A fall view from a window.

Their longtime friend and realtor Sally Black signing the guestbook.  (Guestbook handmade by Amy Rush.)


How cute is that zipcode bag?!

4 comments:

  1. I want to go there. Do they rent their home out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne- good call on the Sweetbriar mag subscriptions. I'd also like to point out that the eggs I cooked in said photograph were given the Sarah seal of approval, so it was a definite success. I have aching pangs because I am not currently in NEH and don't even want to think about how long it will be until next summer. Can't wait until all the miniature Allen/ Harwoods are all up there at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann- (cool job Taylor with the misspell).
    1. Once you go Iphone 4 you never go back (did you ever even consider we were trying to text and/or email you!???! 2. look at the reflectors on Nacny O's and Steve's clothes-- top notch 3. Ask me how annoyed Sarah was watching the marathon runners. 4. Losing our luggage was super annoying because I have problem skin and with my products being MIA= no bueno.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.