Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend Update

What a wonderful weekend.  It is cooler now.  Yesterday's high was in the 70s!  Liz came in from New Mexico.  And...... finally Edie is feeling better so no more Fussy Frog.  We had a busy weekend but I only took pictures of the very beginning and the very end so there is a large gap between Saturday morning in McKinney and Sunday evening's bath.   What's missing in between?  Oh, just the State Fair on TX/OU weekend.   Liz and Jeremiah, I need pictures!  The Fair was great but, as you would expect, very crowded.  We couldn't find a place to park so we had to park by Baylor and take the DART there and back.  The ride back was a little lengthy as it took us all the way around downtown instead of two stops back to Baylor.  We ate the fried frito pie (yum), soft pretzel (I've had better), ice cream bars dipped in chocolate (good, but not a frozen nutter butter as advertised), Tater Tornado with nacho cheese dipping sauce, and empanadas.  Last night as I lay awake between letting various pets in or out I thought of what could be next years award winning food- tempura fried sushi roll.  What do you think?

For about four years Chris and I have taken Sarah to the Dallas Farmers Market in October to pick out a pumpkin.  We would then go to Burger House on Mockingbird and chow down.  Now that she lives in McKinney we got to travel up there Saturday with the entire fam minus a working Chris for pumpkin shopping at McKinney's adorable farmers market followed by lots of wonderful greasy food at an adorable burger joint in McKinney.  I don't remember the name of the place but it's McKinney's version of the Dairy Barn, our favorite restaurant in Maine.  Sarah's friends Amanda and Laura joined us.  I can promise you I had more fun than anyone.  It was a perfect October morning.  We are going to try to make it up there more frequently for farmers market shopping and burgers.


McKinney's farmers market is small but has everything you need.  It's held in a courtyard like space between four historic houses that have been moved to the center of McKinney.  It's shady and adorable.  We'll be back.


Tasting locally made pomegrante and fig balsamic vinegars. I need to start cooking more often (or at all) so I have a reason to buy things like this.


Feeding Edie pastry on an old porch.

Can you see the bride and groom in the background eating burgers?

Liz and serious Frog.




Edie was very interested in Amanda's chicken tenders.




No need for chicken tenders if there's Texas toast.

The girls and their pumpkins.  Check out Laura's sexy pose.

Sunday night bathtime.  Edie loves bathtime more than anything else.



Here are some State Fair of Texas pics from Liz.

For those out of state readers this is Big Tex and yes, he speaks.

The midway.

5 comments:

  1. Those are such a sweet photo:)
    Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did BARB bring her own lunch to the TX Dairy Barn or is she feeding Edie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is feeding the frog. My mom and liz and i didn't get anything b/c we couldn't commit to those kinds of calories. Dad got a burger and said it was too liquidy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    I dined on Diet Coke. Believe me, I love onion rings, etc. (as you know), but this just didn't tempt me. Actually, the chicken tenders (huge) that the girls got looked like real fried chicken and might be worth a try next time.
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, you look so cute pregnant and Edie is still just as cute as ever. Glad she is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.