Monday, April 26, 2010

The Big 6-0.

What a whirlwind weekend.  It went way too fast.  Mom, Dad, Frog, and myself drove to Newellton (St. Joseph actually) on Saturday, arriving there around 4:30.  We cleaned up, got back in the car and drove about an hour to Natchez, Mississippi to a restaurant (of sorts) called High Cotton to celebrate my Uncle Billy's 60th birthday with all the Guthrie clan.  The way High Cotton works is you tell the owner/chef what you want to be on the menu.  Uncle Billy (first name, Uncle; Last name, Billy) wanted filet mignon and shrimp.  The sides were Brussels sprouts and roasted red new potatoes.  The appetizers were soft shell crab BLTs and Rocky Mountain oysters (a.k.a. calf testicles) which my uncles and cousins had harvested (yes, castrated) themselves!!!  Hell yah, that's how the roll in Tensas Parish.  I actually tried one.  It wasn't disgusting but I don't think I'll be craving them either.  So you tell the owner/chef what you want on your menu and he makes it, along with another chef, while you and guests hang around and drink and talk while they are cooking and serving you.  It's in the very historical and thoughtfully restored downtown Natchez about a quarter mile (if that) from the Mississippi River.  The second best jewelry store in the country is right up the street.  It was wonderful to see everyone in such a casual and food oriented setting.  Ben and Whitney were there with their boys, Davis and Wilson.  Edie was very aware of Davis and Wilson and would stare in absolute amazement at them.  They were moderately interested in her.  What gives, Davis?  You were all about me and Edie at Thanksgiving and then we get the cold shoulder this weekend.   I was refused a hug until the very end of the night!  Everyone is doing well.  The dinner was amazing.  Hands down the best shrimp I've ever had!  The filet rivaled the Mansion's.  And the bread pudding..... Why didn't I eat all of it, why?????????  What I would give for it now.

It was a wonderful way to celebrate Uncle Billy's 60th.  I had wanted to make a toast during dessert but I got destracted and everyone was up before I could do it.  Uncle Billy, this is what I wanted to say:  "I love you and your family and their families.  I love how you have always put family before all else.  That was evident to me even as a small child and it is something I try to emulate now.  You are a role model to me and you always have been.  I don't know if you ever realized this but you have been for many years.  I respect the way you approach family, working tirelessly and selflessly for your boys.  I was always acutely aware, from a very young age, of your devotion and passion for your profession.  I have tried to model myself after you in this respect.  I know you are considered an authority in your field and I respect that tremendously and I love that Ben will be there to pick up where you leave off.  I love that you baited and removed fish from over 2000 hooks.  I love that you took McDuff outside and hit him when he bit me once.  I love that you drove in for mine and Liz's high school graduations; and were so genuinely thrilled to be there.  I love that you drove in to see Edie right after she was born.  I love your fascination with Nature, history, and the world around you.  You have shaped who I am more than you will ever know.  I have come to understand that "good men" are few and far between.  I estimate I know about four and you are the touchstone among them.




 
Me and Frog.


 
Frog chewing on Mimi's necklace.


Toast Frog.

Whitney with Wilson and Frog.

Bailey, Dad, and Wilson, and our chef preparing dinner in the background.

Ben and Wilson

Wilson and Davis.

Bread pudding.

Beer, an essential part of any gathering.

Davis in motion.

Davis in repose.

Frog crawling.

P.C. put her up to it.

P.C. and smiling Frog.

Davis, Wilson, Whitney, and the Frog.  Frog looks like she's explaining something to Wilson.
John David and Bailey.

The kitchen!!

Mimi.

Mom and the Frog.

Talking Frog.

Don't touch me Frog.

Scott and Michelle.

Uncle Billy and the boys.

Friends.

Uncle Billy and Scott.



Wilson with dessert.

Someone needs to win the lottery because this is what we need to do for Thanksgiving:  have it at High Cotton.  Either we could bring and cook our own food using their kitchen or they cook for us.  We stay at the Eola.  We can walk around Natchez, go to the river, whatever while the turkey cooks.  We can drink too much because we are staying across the street.  We could split the bill.  Let's make that happen!!!!!

We had so much fun.  Love you all!


5 comments:

  1. I'm in for Thanksgiving, and Dad and I will pay for it HAPPILY.
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said about your Uncle Billy made me cry!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. you made me cry too. and every word you wrote about Uncle Billy is dead on. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a party! So many people and I love your grandma's home full of the Scottish Terrier objects :)
    Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi looks incredible!!! Wow....she sure knows how to keep looking young!!! Whitney and the boys are adorable, and I am am happy to see PC....I remember how happy she made your Uncle Billy! Good times Ann! Good times.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.