Thursday, March 11, 2010

Family Togetherness #3

Let's start here, with what makes our cooking night enjoyable.... a bottle of bubbly.  Taylor I am not copying you, I too need to write about a wonderful, pink sparkling wine.  This prosecco (pictured below) is by far the best I've ever had and I am including champagne in this statement.  It is sweet but not too sweet and doesn't take over you palette in an unpleasant way like most champagnes do (granted I'm typically not drinking the expensive stuff but I'm not drinking Andre either).  Give me a bottle of prosecco over champagne any day.  I find it important to keep berries on hand for oatmeal and bubbly.  Last night I chopped up some huge, very ripe strawberries and put a handful in my glass. 
                            
                   
So when I thought up cooking night I imagined Chris and I cooking together.  Looks like that won't be happening which is probably for the best.  We don't cook well together.  That's how it's always been and that's how it will always be.  Last night I baked chicken tenders breaded with a mixture of breadcrumbs, grated parmesan, and lemon zest.  The recipe called for the chicken to marinate all day in plain yogurt before breading.  I served it with greens from my garden and tomatoes not from my garden.  The lemon zest and the yogurt took it to the next level.  The recipe said to create sandwiches from a baguette but those turn hard about 10 minutes after you get home and they are so huge that we are left with about 14" of white bread that I end up eating with butter.  That CANNOT happen so I went with little brioche buns from Central Market.  I now know that brioche is where it's at.  It's a lot like a croissant which because of its high butter content is the best bread in the world.  I found last night's recipe in one of my favs, Raising Foodies

Breaded chicken ready to bake.

Greens soaking.

Wild mushrooms.  Chris said they scare him.

Frog loves cooking night. 

4 comments:

  1. YUM (especially the berries in bubbly). I am cooking tonight, any suggestions for something delish but healthy? And it has to be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that frog!
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you all have no kitchen appliances doesn't it to be something that can be cooked using a flake of magnesium, a magnifying glass, and the sun to make a fire to cook this dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yall should go buy a barbeque grill. and a bike lock (chain) and a pad lock to lock it to your fence so no one steals it. that way you can grill outside. you can easily grill shrimp on skewers. just oil the shrimp and season. you can also do this in the oven on a cookie sheet. shrimp cook really fast. the worst part is peeling them.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting please do. I read and reread all my comments. Let me know if there is a picture you want to see or a subject you want me to write about. Your wish is my command.